From Portoferraio, after 14 km of straight road strangely, suddenly, after a series of inevitable curves along the cliff, is the beautiful Bay of Porto Azzurro with its namesake town overlooking the marina.
The town square, newly decorated with good taste, is the heart of the country that winds through the streets behind.
Do not be surprised when, flipping through the phone book, you will find many names clearly Spaniards, Porto Azzurro Porto Longone called until 1947, is the foundation, culture, gastronomy and history of Spain. In early 1600 the need for garrisons on the Tyrrhenian coast and the rivalry with the Grand Duke of Tuscany, imposed Fort St. James on one side of the gulf and other Focardo Forte, the first is now a beacon kept by the Navy, while the second , from a hilltop overlooking the small village, home to more than two centuries a penitentiary.
There are two small beaches right in town, restaurants, bars, shops of all kinds, particularly interesting ones of semiprecious stones and minerals, other beaches, much larger and are equipped to Barbarossa and Reale, the latter at the end of 'fertile valley of the same name.
An easy and short hike is not to be missed at the Madonna del Monserrato that a Spanish nobleman had built in 1606 in memory of the greatest shrine erected in Spain. The church is pretty simple, but is inserted in a landscape of broad romantic and contemplative.